Ankylosing Spondylitis

Long-term 104-week follow-up of the phase 3 MEASURE 2 study confirmed sustained secukinu­mab efficacy and safety for signs and symptoms of active ankylosing spondylitis (AS), stated Helena Marzo-Ortega, PhD, Honorary Clinical Assistant Professor, University of Leeds, United Kingdom, in a 2016 European League Against Rheumatism Annual Congress presentation.
Treatment efficacy of certolizu­mab pegol was maintained for more than 4 years in patients with axial spondyloarthritis (axSpA) enrolled in the RAPID-axSpA clinical trial, according to a presentation at the 2016 European League Against Rheumatism Annual Congress. Certolizu­mab pegol is a monoclonal antibody to tumor necrosis factor (TNF)-α, said lead investigator Désirée van der Heijde, MD, Professor of Rheumatology, Leiden University Medical Center, The Netherlands. AxSpA is a chronic inflammatory disease characterized primarily by inflammation of the sacroiliac joints and spine, which leads to chronic back pain.
In a study reported at the Academy of Managed Care Pharmacy annual meeting, adalimumab was found to have the lowest incremental cost per responder (CPR) and to be cost-saving, compared with the next most cost-effective option, etanercept, among the biologics approved by the US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) for treating ankylosing spondylitis (AS).
An analysis of data from 337 people with treatment-refractory ankylosing spondylitis (AS) indicated 88.1% received only one line of anti–tumor necrosis factor-α (anti-TNF-α) therapy while the remaining 11.9% switched to one or more anti-TNF-α agents.
The association between inflammation and new bone formation in ankylosing spondylitis (AS) has been widely studied and debated in recent years. However, the studies have resulted in inconclusive data about the inhibition and progression of radiographic progression.
by Alice Goodman Madrid, Spain—Patients with active ankylosing spondylitis who achieve stable disease with anti–tumor necrosis factor (TNF) agents may be able to maintain low disease activity for as long as 2 years after dose reduction of an anti-TNF agent. A small observational cohort study showed that more than 40% of patients who had their doses of an anti-TNF agent reduced substantially still had low disease activity at 2 years.
Ottawa, Ontario—Patients with ankylosing spondylitis who take tumor necrosis factor (TNF) inhibitors are 70% less likely to experience radiographic disease progression, according to a cohort study presented at the Canadian Rheumatology Association’s 2013 annual meeting. By Rosemary Frei, MSc
By Neil Canavan Berlin, Germany—Several biomarkers have been identified that are pre­dictive of structural damage in pa­tients with ankylosing spondylitis who are at high risk for disease progression, according to data presented at the 2012 European League Against Rheumatism Congress.

Results 1 - 8 of 8
  • Rheumatology Practice Management
  • American Health & Drug Benefits
  • Value-Based Cancer Care
  • Value-Based Care in Myeloma
  • Value-Based Care in Neurology